With the start of a new school year, this is how Billingshurst & District Lions Club can provide financial and practical help to local primary and pre-schools throughout the area. Primary schools involved are: Barns Green, Billingshurst, Loxwood, Plaistow and Kirdford, Rudgwick, Shipley CoE, Slinfold CoE, St. Mary’s (aided) CoE in Pulborough, William Penn in Coolham, Wisborough Green, and now Ingfield Manor special needs school at Five Oaks.
Each school has an appointed Liaison Lion available for discussing detailed requirements and priorities as the year progresses.
The coming year may include:
- ROAR 2023 – an inspirational, educational competition run in partnership with 8billionideas, sponsored by Lions, for schools to participate during the Autumn term.
- Book Giveaways – each child in every school can select a free book of their choice.
- Book Stalls at school fetes and fayres, with all proceeds donated to the school.
- Funding for Technology and for providing books, musical education, outdoor learning and annual camping expeditions.
- Lions spending half a day working on an outdoor project, alongside parents wherever possible, of benefit to children’s learning and to the school.
- Lions Life Skill packages available free of charge to all teachers providing lesson plans in supporting personal, social, health and citizen education.
In addition to Primary and Pre-Schools, Billingshurst Lions are now working with the Weald School on a number of possibilities, having previously provided funding for their Green Power Project and opportunities for pupils to gain work experience in the Lions Charity Bookshop as part of the Duke of Edinburgh Award programme.
Viv Diggens, Co-ordinator of the Lions schools programme says, “We always look forward to helping schools in as many ways as possible, especially this year with increased funding for Technology, increasingly important in this ever changing world”.