Billingshurst and District Lions Club
Data Protection – Privacy notice
Billingshurst and District Lions Club (the Club) is chartered by and under the jurisdiction of Lions Clubs International. Lions Clubs International is the world’s largest service club organization with more than 1.4 million members in approximately 46,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas around the world. The motto of the club is “We serve”.
Our purpose and objectives are:
- To create and foster a spirit of understanding among peoples of the world
- Promote the principles of good government and good citizenship
- To take an active interest in the civic, cultural, social and moral welfare of the community
- To unite our members in the bond of friendship, good fellowship and mutual understanding
- To provide a forum for the open discussion of all matters of public interest, provided that partisan politics and sectarian religion shall not be debated by club members
- To encourage serviced minded men and women to serve their community without personal financial reward, to encourage efficiency and promote high ethical standards in commerce, industry, professions and personal endeavours.
Data Protection Principles ( DPP)
The Club will only process data for specified and legal purposes
- Data is adequate, relevant and not excessive
- Data is accurate and updated where necessary
- Data is not kept longer than necessary
- Data is processed in accordance with an individual’s consent and rights
- Data is kept secure
The Club processes personal information, in accordance with our DPP, to enable us to promote our events and provide our programmes within the community that we serve, to maintain our accounts and keep membership records, both for our Club and on behalf of Lions Club International.
This information will usually be restricted to personal contact details but may, in some circumstances, include sensitive classes of information such as physical or mental health details, details of lifestyle, social and financial circumstances. Where specific consent is required in these circumstances we will obtain this in writing.
The Club is required on occasion, in accordance with our DPP, to share information with other interested parties for the purposes of furthering an event or programme. These parties may include the individual themselves, their families and associates and other like-minded organisations in the community that we serve including schools, Lions competition organisers, etc.
Storing and retaining information
The Club stores information, in accordance with our DPP, on individual laptops and spreadsheets held by designated officers of the club, who are : The President, Vice President, Secretary ( and minutes officer) and Treasurer. Information is stored by additional specialist officers including the Chairs of our Fundraising, Projects and Community Services committees.
Information is retained only for so long as is necessary to complete, or repeat, the activity for which the information is required.
The Club maintains a presence on this website and on social media channels. This presence is for the purposes of informing the community that we serve and of our meetings and activities. No personal information is held on the website other than key contact details for some officers of the Club. Access to the website is password protected and controlled by a dedicated web content editor.